We bought this 1988 Suzuki Samurai last October from a guy I knew in Slayden Mississippi. It was “Total Camo”, wheels and all; and it was “bone stock” except for the long homemade shackles. As I was trailering it home, my wife said to me, “you think you can fix this thing? . . . LOL!”
It had a 5 speed standard transmission. So I told the wife, “You are going to have to learn to drive a 5 speed” and she said, “ain’t happening!” So I “googled” putting an automatic transmission in a Samurai and found some help from Lightning Conversions. I bought a GM 700R4 transmission from a salvage yard and connected it up to a 4.3L Vortec V6 engine. You can never have too much power right? I then connected the transmission to a RF1A Toyota Transfer Case using an Atlas Adapter and sent the power to the axles using CV Drive Shafts, front and rear. For the rear axle assembly I went with a Ford 9” posi-trac with 3:70 gears, complete with Wilwood disc brakes bought form Moser Engineering. The front axle was left pretty much stock but I did do a Complete Knuckle Rebuild with parts form Low Range Off-Road and added a Lock Right Locker and RCV axles also from LROR.
We are very pleased with the way it turned out. I have a vehicle that turns heads, gets thumbs up and often people will say, “how much? I’ll write you a check on the spot!!!” Many thanks to Low Range Off-Road for their advice, parts and ideas.
- SPOA with Samurai 1.5″ Lift HD Front and Rear Leaf Springs
- Samurai Bushwacker Extended Fender Flares 6″
- Air Intake Scoop
- Align-Correct HD Crossover High-Low Steering Kit by Low Range Off Road
- Samurai Panhard Bar Kit by Low Range Off Road
- Toyota Power Steering System
- Corbeau Seats with LROR seat mounts
- Rampage Soft Top with Zip Out Windows
- Defiant Armor Rock Sliders